THE GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE
Hidden deep among Vermont's mystical Green Mountains is a secret world hiding in plain sight. Only those who attempt the Challenge will know where to look.
Along your epic real-life action adventure journeys, you will explore ancient Vermont towns, hike magical mountains, and encounter a series of mind-bending puzzles - all in a quest to unravel the story and discover the unknown.
These are real challenges: there is no guarantee you will solve them.
WHAT IS THE ADVENTURE CHALLENGE?!
Access to the Dover Adventure for 1 person
Cash prize entry
Option to add Gear Kits with tshirts, water bottles, backpacks & notebooks (+$45)
Lodging not included.
Call the West Dover Inn at 802-464-5207 for a special lodging package.
2 nights for 2 people in a standard room at the West Dover Inn during the Adventure
Breakfast for 2 each morning
2 Adventure passes
2 Gear Kits with tshirts, water bottles, backpacks & notebooks
Cash prize entry
Taxes & gratuities not included
2020 ADVENTURE BACKSTORY
THE VILLAGE DIARIES
For hundreds of years, the village mountain town of West Dover has been a crossroads for travelers, dignitaries, and explorers to take respite during their journeys. And with adventurers come stories. Tall tales shared around summer campfires that keep imaginations alive. Fables told over drinks at the tavern on cold winter nights to lift spirits during difficult travels.
What began as simple storytelling became a tradition that gives the village an enigmatic sense of mystery and wonder. Gamesmanship between travelers developed into a series of games and puzzles – some of which have been passed down through the years.
In this year’s Challenge, you will find some of these stories, tangible items from yesteryear, and mind-bending riddles combined with newer ones created to keep the myths alive. Each one stands alone but some will be easier to solve if you decipher how they fit together.
None are easy.
You are presented with all the information you need to solve them, but it will take some time and ingenuity to see through their design.
Rely on your friends and teamwork to complete all four.
Most importantly, enjoy your turn in the timeless folklore that connect us with the spirits of storytellers past, present, and future.
SOCIALS & INFO
DETAILS | FAQ's
When is the Adventure?
The 2020 Adventure Challenge is open 7 days a week from June 26 until Sept 7th. You can register and begin any day. Finish by Sept 7th.
Where Does It Take Place?
The Adventure Challenge takes place in Dover, VT.
How Long Does It Take?
The Adventure takes about 2 days to complete. Begin any day during the season and take as many days as you need to finish by Sept 7th.
How Do I Check Availability?
The Adventure has unlimited availability 7 days a week during the season and does not sell out. You do not need to make reservations with us.
Is Lodging Required?
No. But the Adventure takes at least 2 days to complete. If you need lodging, buy the Getaway package including 2 nights lodging with passes.
What If I Don't Solve It All?
You are NOT guaranteed to solve the Challenge. Come back as often as you need to solve it. Answers are posted after the Adventure ends in September.
What If I Don't Finish First?
The Adventure is not a race and it does not matter if someone finishes before you. All the clues, puzzles and challenges are available for the entire season.
What Do I Need To Bring?
(1) Comfortable shoes. (2) A cameraphone. (3) A car. (4) Bug spray. And any other items you think may help.
Can My Kids Join Me?
Yes! Children under 18 must have a parent with them at all times. Children age 14 and under are free and do not require passes.
Can I Bring Pets?
Yes! Pets can join. The Adventure is outdoors, so your pets must be in great shape. Be sure to check with your lodging if they allow pets.
Can Extra People Join Me?
Yes! Teams have ranged from individual travelers to groups of 20. Bring as many friends and family as you want! Each person needs a pass.
(total in 2019)
(total in 2019)
(total in 2019)
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SOLVE THE CHALLENGE!
IT REQUIRES A BASIC LEVEL OF MENTAL TOUGHNESS, PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS, PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND EMOTIONAL PATIENCE. IF YOU GET LOST OR STUCK AND CANNOT SOLVE THE NEXT RIDDLE, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE ANSWERS ARE POSTED IN SEPTEMBER TO LEARN WHAT YOU COULD NOT FIGURE OUT ON YOUR OWN.
ONCE YOU BEGIN YOU CAN RETURN AS OFTEN AS YOU LIKE TO CONTINUE FROM WHERE YOU LEFT OFF. YOU HAVE UNTIL LABOR DAY TO COMPLETE IT.
$5 of each registration is put into the grand prize cash prize pot. The cash award is divided among the total finishers.
$5 of each registration is put into the charity pot and is donated to a local or regional charity organization.
Booking a new experience is exciting,
but it can also be a bit overwhelming.
We understand. That's why we have live Adventure Experts here to help, making your trip stress-free & amazing.
Call Us Today
2019 ADVENTURE WALKTHROUGH
2019 DOVER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE WALKTHROUGH
1) Begin online at www.vermontime.com/dover-challenge
2) Arrive at the 1846 Tavern and see the framed photo with the Cicero quote "If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need".
3) The photo is an exact photo of the garden on the side of the inn. There you find an unlocked treasure chest hidden among the tall flowers. Inside is a box with two halves and random objects. The left half has a wooden block of "Vermont", next to an old clock, and then the wooden block letters COM. These objects combine to make the phrase "Vermont Time Com". In the middle of the box is a wooden divider separating left from right. This is "slash". The right half of the box has a small cross, and then a little town. These make the phrase "Cross Town". Combine the three together to get which has a password protected screen. The password is determined from the info in the library.
4) Inside the inn is the library where you find two large, framed clues on the wall at the back of the room above the book shelves. The first is the 9-letter grid that unscrambles to spell "StoryRoad". The other is a map of England. On the bookshelves and the center table are 3 fake books that each have riddles inside when you open them. The riddles tell you that the 3 English towns of "Dover", St Albans", and "Manchester" can be found in the Southeast corner, center, and Northwest corner of the country respectively. Overlaying these 3 sectors on top of the Storyroad grid gives you DSA (D in bottom right, S in middle, A in top left).
5) Use DSA as the password to unlock the next page, Crosstown Trails. The first riddle takes you to the rectangular firepit where stories were shared, and you put your compass on the stone pit pointing up the long side of the rectangle, and get a degree bearing of 200 degrees.
6) The 2nd riddle takes you to the Dover Cemetery on the road back from Crosstown. As you enter the cemetery, the compass bearing is 55 degrees so you walk 55 steps as the riddle instructs, and you find William Snow’s grave.
7) Head back to the tavern to tell the bartender “Mr. Snow” and the 200 degree bearing to prove you found the firepit. The bartender takes you to the archery field out back.
8) One member of team hits the bag and receives the printed scrambled code clue that deciphers to “The Grand House is the Key”.
9) Back on the "Beyond Crosstown" page on the website, the secret link on the words “Grand House” opens a riddle about a Doctor GrandMaison who performed a mystical life saving procedure that brought a baby back to life by breathing into it. This true news story from the early 1900s is found on the newspaper framed besides the tavern entrance. The mystery procedure is CPR, which is the next password on the website.
10) The final riddle tells you to hike Mount Snow, face northwest towards Manchester and take a photo.
11) Use "Manchester" to unlock the final page and reveal the two gamemasters from Dover to be William Snow, the gentleman who built the West Dover Inn, and the 26th President of the United States, Teddy Roosevelt, who had a home in Dover and was also close friends with Robert Todd Lincoln...
2019 MANCHESTER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE WALKTHROUGH
1) Begin online at www.vermontime.com/manchester-commons
2) The old timey newspaper has a series of riddles and clues on it. Some of these can be done in any order. The best way to approach this is to read all the stories first, then it is revealed that the 3 dots of the triangle on the top right are the key. Each dot has a number to be discovered from one of the other stories: "Lye east. Rise west. Point north". You can figure out which story corresponds with which dot thanks to the lantern on the left side of the page with LB for Lye Brook on the bottom right, FP for Factory Point on the top, and ES for Equinox Summit on the bottom left.
3) "Captain Marks Summit" instructs you to hike Mt Equinox and locate the bench with stone legs on lookout point. Place your compass perpendicular to the bench, facing town, and get the bearing of 100 degrees. Place this into the triangle in the "Rise west" spot next to the "-55". This gives you the equation 100-55=45. So 45 is the number for that spot.
4) "Factory Village Intersects" instructs you to find Factory Point park in the center of town and count the number of war memorials embedded in the stone pathway. There are 11. Enter this number in the triangle's "Point north" spot next to "x2". This gives you the equation 11x2=22. So 22 is the number for that spot.
5) "Manchester resident makes curious find" instructs you to hike out to Lye Brook Falls and stand on the narrow crossing ledge with the large flat stone wall in front of you. There, at about chest height, you find 5 strange square notches cutout from the rock face. Place this into the triangle in the "Lye east" spot next to the "+2". This gives you the equation 5+2=7. So 7 is the number for that spot.
6) Now you have the three numbers 45, 22, 7. Follow the instructions, add them together and get 74. This is the password to the next webpage.
7) This is where it gets mystical and weird. The three vertices, Lye Brook, Factory point, and Equniox trails, make a nearly perfect isosceles triangle in REAL LIFE when you draw them out on a map. The "Odd and Curious" and the "Draw the Journey" sections of the newspaper lead you to drawing the triangle and then drawing the line that splits it down the middle, ending at the Masonic symbol. Here's the REALLY weird part: the length of the 2 identical sides of the triangle measure 3.14 miles IN REAL LIFE. It's pi! The lantern symbol on the left side of the page hints at pi with its shape.
8) So, you enter 3.14 (which equals 22/7 from two of the three triangle numbers) as the password to get to the next page.
9) When you draw the triangle on a real map, and then draw the bisecting line down, it points directly to Hildene, the home of Robert Todd Lincoln who was Chester A Arthur's Secretary of War, and a friend of Teddy Roosevelt including their shared over of Pullman train cars, where Robert Todd was an executive.
10) Enter Todd as the final password and reveal the two Manchester gamemasters to be Robert Todd Lincoln and Benning Wentworth, who named Manchester after the 3rd Duke of Montagu in England (in order to satisfy some debts).
Next up, you can follow the famous Pullman train up the tracks to the rail city of St. Albans...
2019 ST. ALBANS ADVENTURE CHALLENGE WALKTHROUGH
1) Begin online at www.vermontime.com/stalbans-capsule
2) The story begins with the time capsule found during renovations of the beautiful lady fountain in the center of Taylor park. In and around the park you'll find the following answers to the crossword puzzle:
1 Down - maker of time = Verdin (from the clock in the park)
4 Down - 1 sister sees a spire shaped this = Ball (from a top the church)
6 Down - Month of the battle = October (from the historical plaque)
8 Down - War of the battle = Civil (from the historical plaque)
2 Across - Where they were first brought to = Village (from the plaque beneath the fountain)
3 Across - Battle of the north = Raid (from the historical plaque)
5 Across - President of the battle = Lincoln (from general history knowledge)
7 Across - Brought the sisters here = Smith (from the plaque beneath the fountain)
9 Across - 1 Adorned sister sees this block = Bailey (from the building across the street)
10 Across - 2 sister adorned with what 2 are missing = Necklace (from the fountain)
3) The four shaded squares in the crossword spell "BANK".
4) A block away from the fountain in the park is the old bank, currently People's Trust, with the two years 1900 and 1886 above their windows. The difference is 14, use this as the password on the site.
5) The next page has Pullman's riddle which leads you up bank st to Lincoln ave to Congress st, where you find 27 large stones at the secret forest entrance to Aldis Hill park.
6) Roam around in there and you find the Wolf Monument on the spot where brainerd shot the wolf. Use brainerd as the password to move forward.
7) The poem on the next page describes a place to the east, where a person who Robert Todd Lincoln had a special friendship with, and worked with on matters of war. This leads to the birthplace of the 21st President of the United States, Chester A Arthur. The memorial is marked with 21 large boulders out front.
8) This reveals the 2 St Albans gamemasters: Chester A Arthur and Gov Smith.